Current:Home > StocksRekubit-Bud Light goes on offense with NFL campaign, hopes to overcome boycott, stock dip -Capitatum
Rekubit-Bud Light goes on offense with NFL campaign, hopes to overcome boycott, stock dip
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 08:16:20
Anheuser-Busch is Rekubitlooking to the NFL season's kickoff for forward progress toward overcoming offseason difficulties that included a Bud Light boycott.
The beer giant, which reported a 10.5% decline in U.S. sales in its second quarter (April-June 2023), launched what it calls its biggest NFL campaign ever on Thursday.
The "Easy to Sunday" promotion includes new TV and online advertisements set to run during the season, and limited-edition Bud Light cans for 23 NFL teams with team colors, logos and a player illustration. (Note: Not all teams opted into the can deal with Bud Light.)
Cans are hitting stores now. Each can has a QR code that can be scanned for a chance to win one of 2,000 free subscription to NFL Sunday Ticket from YouTube and YouTube TV and e-gift cards for NFL merchandise from Fanatics.
The new commercial features "real fans and their Sunday tradition," the company said in a news release. Those include a Philadelphia Eagles fan who is also a military veteran "who never missed a game when she was deployed, no matter the time of night."
Starbucks:Pumpkin Spice Lattes return; new pumpkin cold brew, chai tea latte debut for fall
An NFL mainstay
Bud Light has been the NFL's official beer sponsor for more than 27 years "and every season we look forward to delighting fans by making their gameday celebrations easier over a Bud Light and America’s most popular sport: football,” company spokesman Todd Allen said in a statement.
Anheuser-Busch says the backlash has stabilized from its March Madness promotion of trans influencer Dylan Mulvaney. After Mulvaney posted a video on Instagram showing a Bud Light can with her likeness and sipping beer, a conservative boycott ensued.
Bud Light:Trans activist Dylan Mulvaney says brand ghosted her after conservative boycott
Subsequently, Bud Light lost its spot as the top-selling U.S. beer and laid off hundreds of employees. Anheuser-Busch InBev revenue in North America fell by 10.5% (volume fell 14%) during the second quarter. The company's stock is down 16% from $66.57 on April 3, two days after Mulvaney's Instagram post and the day Kid Rock posted a video of himself shooting cases of Bud Light.
A comeback?
But the company sees favorable signs for the remainder of the year, CEO Michel Doukeris said during an investor call earlier this month. About 80% of the more than 170,000 consumers surveyed since April gave "favorable or neutral" ratings for the brand, he said.
Consumer feedback has boiled down to three points, Doukeris said.
"One, they want to enjoy their beer without a debate," he said. "Two, they want Bud Light to focus on beer. Three, they want Bud Light to concentrate on the platforms that all consumers love, such as (the) NFL."
Follow Mike Snider on X and Threads: @mikesnider &mikegsnider.
What's everyone talking about? Sign up for our trending newsletter to get the latest news of the day
veryGood! (16647)
Related
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Analysis: Coco Gauff’s Washington title shows she is ready to contend at the US Open
- Why did MLB's most expensive team flop? New York Mets 'didn't have that magic'
- Jamie Foxx apologizes after post interpreted as antisemitic: 'That was never my intent'
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Messi sparkles again on free kick with tying goal, Inter Miami beats FC Dallas in shootout
- Attacks at US medical centers show why health care is one of the nation’s most violent fields
- Barr says Trump prosecution is legitimate case and doesn't run afoul of the First Amendment
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Kyle Kirkwood wins unusually clean IndyCar race on streets of Nashville
Ranking
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Usher Weighs In On Debate Over Keke Palmer's Concert Appearance After Her Boyfriend's Critical Comments
- Driver accused in Treat Williams' death considered actor 'a friend,' denies wrongdoing
- Is it better to take Social Security at 62 or 67? Why it's worth waiting if you can.
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Trucking giant Yellow Corp. declares bankruptcy after years of financial struggles
- Penguins land 3-time Norris Trophy winner Erik Karlsson in trade with Sharks, Canadiens
- U.S. Women's National Team Eliminated From 2023 World Cup After Cruel Penalty Shootout
Recommendation
Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
Historian on Trump indictment: The most important criminal trial in American history
NASCAR suspends race at Michigan due to rain and aims to resume Monday
At least 3 dead in bus crash on Pennsylvania interstate, authorities say
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
NASCAR driver Noah Gragson suspended for liking racially insensitive meme on social media
Tens of thousands of young scouts to leave South Korean world jamboree as storm Khanun looms
Paying too much for auto insurance? 4 reasons to go over your budget now.